iconVisa Requirements



The short answer!

Before you go looking for work, there are a few things you’re going to need. First, you’re going to need to have either a student visa with permission to work or one of two working holiday visa so that you’ll be able to get a job legally. If you don’t have one of these three visas (IE you only have a tourist visa or a student visa with no right to work), then you’re going to have to apply for them outside Australia if you want to work.

There are two working holiday visas – the Working Holiday Visa and the Work and Holiday Visa. If you have the Working Holiday Visa, you can apply for a medicare card from a local medicare office, and you can apply for a 2nd Working Holiday Visa if you take part in certain regional jobs such as fruit picking. If you have the Work and Holiday Visa, you’ll need to secure your own private health insurance and you won’t be able to apply for that 2nd visa.

Apply online at www.immi.gov.au to see the full list of differences between the visas.


Visa – in more detail

You are required to have a visa before coming to Australia, airlines may refuse to allow travellers without valid visas and passports to board their aircraft. It is best to get a visa before buying an airline ticket.

Tourists are not allowed to work during their visit to Australia, people who want to work must apply for a temporary residence visa.

There are other visas available, but these are the most popular. Contact an Australian Embassy or Consulate and you can also contact a registered Australian Immigration Agent or Student Agent in your Country for more information.


Tourist Visa

For those intending to visit Australia for a period of not more than 3 months, this is the visa for you! Sometimes this visa can be renewed for another 3 months or the issuer may give you less than that. You are NOT allowed to work in Australia with a Tourist Visa. You can study in Australia with a Tourist Visa as long as the course duration doesn’t exceed 11 weeks.


Student Visa

This visa is for those intending to study in Australia for a period of more than 12 weeks and studying full time (more than 25 hours per week). This visa will allow you to apply for a part time working visa after you have started your studies. A part time work visa allows you to work for up to 20 hours per week. The student visa has more requirements and documentation than the tourist visa, including compulsory Health Insurance that covers you for your period of study. Follow this link for an application.


Business Visa

Can be for short term (3 months) or up to 4 years. The short term business visa is for those who are coming to Australia to do business over a small time frame. These include: Seminars, Conferences, Workshops, Meetings and some other activities. The long term business visa is basically for people who are going to work in companies from their home country that have a branch in Australia. They are also for people contracted by an Australian company to fulfill certain requirements.



A Resident Visa, is for those people who want to immigrate to Australia. All categories have different requirements, but the most common is the General Skills category in which you have to obtain a certain number of points and requirements to be successful. For more information on becoming a permanent Australian citizen, click here.



Visa for 12 months maximum, it allows professional experience in real work environment in Australia.


Obtaining a Visa

For a full listing of all visa information visit the Department of Immigration & Citizenship websiteimmi.gov.au. Or you may choose to employ an education or migration agent to help you.


Staying longer?

Many people want to stay longer than their visa allows. This is not usually possible and even marrying an Australian citizen or permanent resident does not necessarily make you eligible for resident status. If you want to remain in Australia or are looking to be sponsored by a company, the procedure can be lengthy and the criteria strict.


2nd WHM visa

If you hold a second Working Holiday visa, you may return to work for a further six months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday visa.

For more options on how to extend you stay in Australia click here.

Style: (Optional)
Style: (Optional)